The Gathering Place opened in January 2000 as a nonprofit, community-based cancer support center to fill an unmet need in the greater Cleveland community. The programs and services offered address the social, emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of individuals with cancer and their support network. The mission of The Gathering Place is to support, educate and empower individuals and families touched by cancer through programs and services provided free of charge.
In October of 2008, we opened a location in Westlake as part of our strategic plan to widen our circle of caring and make our programs more accessible to an even greater number of individuals on the cancer journey. To date The Gathering Place has served more than 27,000 individuals who have made over 210,000 visits.
The Gathering Place serves all individuals with any type of cancer and their family and friends regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation. The clinical staff are all master’s prepared and licensed and provide the highest quality standard of care.
Programs and services at The Gathering Place include:
- Two education centers that include lending libraries with over 2,500 books, cds and dvds. Public lectures by local experts offering the latest information on cancer treatments and complementary medicine. The medical librarian will help you research any questions you may have on cancer and its treatment, whether you are newly diagnosed or a long-term survivor.
- Support groups to help you cope with the emotional impact of a cancer diagnosis. There are weekly groups for those diagnosed with cancer and one for family friends, as well as monthly drop-in groups for specific cancers such as breast, leukemia and lymphoma, myeloma and prostate.
- Gentle movement classes such as tai chi and yoga and exercise classes appropriate for any level including those with low energy.
- Nutrition Classes and one-to-one consultations with a licensed dietitian as well as healthy cooking classes.
- Age appropriate support groups, education classes and social activities for children who have a loved one with cancer, and specialized, caring staff to help families every step of the way.