The resources below can help organize the stream of information that accompanies a cancer diagnosis. Take time in learning about the cancer that has touched you. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, you can always visit our Humor and Cancer section.
Websites for General Cancer Information and Care:
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer Facts
- Cancer Source
- Cancer 411
- National Cancer Institute Fact Sheets
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society – website for patients and caregivers, offering counseling referrals all over US, and toll free helpline 1-866-276-7443
- Chemotherapy Information from Chemocare
- Manage Cancer from Christina’s Garden
- Treatment Guidelines – Standard care plans for all cancers
Reliable Medical Search Engines (for any disease, including cancer):
WebMD Good consumer-friendly medical search engine.
Infotrac You access this through Cleveland Public Library, using your own library card number. From the Cleveland Public Library homepage, choose “Do Research” from the left side menu. Then, in the blank search space, type Infotrac. When you click on the result, it will ask for your card number.
PubMed Academic level abstracts from the National Library of Medicine’s huge database of journal articles.
The resources and information given by our staff is NOT an endorsement of those individuals or practices. Staff members do not provide medical advice or assistance. We make every attempt to stock current, legitimate health-related materials. Opinions offered in writing or in lectures do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Gathering Place staff or Board of Trustees. We receive no fee for maintaining lists of resources and information. It is the responsibility of anyone utilizing this information to fully research the resources provided.