Finding Wigs and Head Covers
How do I go about finding a wig or head covering?
The Gathering Place has HairPeace Wig Salon where women with cancer-related hair loss can get a wig at no cost. We accept donated synthetic wigs and have them professionally cleaned. Call to schedule an appointment.
Women tell us that losing their hair from chemotherapy can be the most stressful aspect of their treatment. They offer some suggestions to make this experience a little easier:
- Meet with the wig supplier/stylist while you still have a full head of hair so they can better understand your current hairstyle, color and approach to grooming.
- Bring a friend who can be completely honest about what looks good and natural on you. Better to have them be truthful up front, than to wear something that is not flattering.
- Some women find that getting a very short haircut as the time approaches is more empowering and less traumatic than watching as clumps of hair fall out. Some women ask a girlfriend or partner to trim their hair for them, to have the experience be more shared and intimate. Some families make an ‘event’ of trimming Mom’s hair, so that the children can feel part of things, and can see the humor amidst the sadness.
- Don’t let someone talk you into spending more than you are comfortable with or more than is necessary. You can buy a very attractive, easy to take care of, synthetic wig for around $200. There are some salons that will charge over $1,000 and insist you will ‘want’ a human hair wig that needs to be washed and styled frequently. This is not recommended.
- Your doctor can write you a ‘prescription’ for a ‘cranial prosthesis’ that you can submit to your insurance after purchasing a wig. If you purchase your wig from Discount Drug Mart’s A Woman’s Place, they will handle your claim. Some insurance companies may totally cover the price of a wig, but most will pay a portion. It is suggested you check first to find out your benefits and procedure.
We have surveyed our participants and they have said the following salons were kind, helpful and had a good selection. This is not a complete list of all salons in our area, and is not in any way a judgment of salons not listed.
TLC (American Cancer Society), Low prices, catalog, 800-850-9445
A Woman’s Place, Discount Drug Mart, 1-800-434-9440, call for locations, including: Cleveland, Euclid, Highland Hts., Independence, Medina, Mentor, N. Olmsted, Olmsted Falls, Westlake.
Wigs On Wheels, Dee Curry, 330-865-0716, Toll free 877-865-0716
A Special Touch Boutique, 8252 Darrow Rd., Suite A, Twinsburg, 330-405-9533
Accents of Hair by Vincie, 25550 Chagrin Blvd., Beachwood, 216-831-8918
Advanced Hair Center, 24800 Chagrin Blvd., #212, Beachwood, 216-292-0224
Complete Image, 1450 SOM Ctr. Rd. #3 Mayfield Hts., 440-461-4247
Eve Loren Wigs, 252 Shoregate Mall, Willowick, 440-944-7600
Hair Care Designers, 5437 Mayfield Rd., Cleveland, 440-449-4420
Hair Options, 23850 Commerce Park, Beachwood, 216-382-5987
Hair There & Everywhere, 32801 Vine St, Willowick, 440-943-3511
Hairways, Mi Young, 28440 Chagrin, Woodmere , 216-464-6322
Just Your Style, Inc, 9311 Lorrich Dr., Mentor, 440-209-9730
Look of Elegance, 3583 Bendemeer, Cleveland Hts., 216-321-9321
Lowry’s, 16650 Chagrin, Shaker Hts., 216-751-9447
Ms. Jade’s Closet (Janet), 1200 Melbourne, Cleveland, 216-268-1672
NEO Wig Bank – FREE wigs in Geauga County, 440-725-5565, www.inspiratowigs.com
Nino’s Hair Design, 4950 Riverside Dr., Willoughby, 216-261-2848
Wigs & Things, Debbie Carter, 77 N. Miller Rd., Suite B, Fairlawn, 330-864-5251
Elegant Essentials, Shellie Gregus, In home or studio, 330-723-8880
Gina Salon & Wigs, 17303 Detroit, Cleveland, 216-226-6788
Hair Systems by Calabretta, 5714 Pearl Rd., Parma, 440-888-4540
Joey & Me, 576 N. Leavitt, Amherst, 440-985-9447
Salon K, Karen Page, 6839 Pearl Rd., Middleburg Hts., 440-655-0579, www.salonkneo.com
Wig Fashions, Inc. by Stephanie, 5466 Pearl Rd., Parma, 440-886-0777
Wigs Fashioned by Lois, 5360 Broadview, Parma, 216-741-3060
Wig Studio, 14484 Pearl Rd., Strongsville, 44139, 440-238-9779, www.wigstudioetc.com
The resources and information given by our staff is NOT an endorsement of those individuals or practices. Staff members do not provide medical advice or assistance. We make every attempt to stock current, legitimate health-related materials. Opinions offered in writing or in lectures do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Gathering Place staff or Board of Trustees. We receive no fee for maintaining lists of resources and information. It is the responsibility of anyone utilizing this information to fully research the resources provided.