Cancer and Nutrition
While no single food is the cause or cure for cancer, healthy nutrition plays an integral role in all aspects of the cancer journey. From the time of diagnosis until after treatment, good nutrition helps boost the immune system, repair and build muscle, and gives us a sense of control and empowerment as something positive we can do throughout our cancer journey.
Nutrition During Treatment:
Many side effects of cancer and cancer treatment can make it challenging to meet your nutritional needs and maintain a healthy weight. Changes in taste and smell, mouth sores, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhea are some of the common side effects of cancer treatment. The links below provide suggestions on symptom support during treatment.
National Cancer Institute:
- Click here for general information about cancer and nutrition from the National Cancer Institute.
- Click here for information about addressing side effects of cancer treatment with nutrition.
The American Institute for Cancer Research:
- Click here to read bout the relationship between food, physical activity and body weight on cancer prevention and survivorship.
- Click here for information on symptom support and managing side effects of cancer treatment.
Nutrition After Treatment:
Nutrition recommendations for cancer survivors include working towards or maintaining a healthy body weight through a predominantly plant based eating style and regular physical activity. However, no standard definition exists for plant based eating. Below are suggestions for healthy plant based recipes from various plant strong cancer organizations.
Mediterranean & Vegetarian Based Diet
- The American Institute for Cancer Research has information on a lifestyle that includes healthy eating and physical activity that may help prevent cancer or cancer recurrence. Also find information on a Mediterranean based lifestyle.
Low-Fat Vegan Diet
- The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (Food for Life Cancer Project) promotes cancer prevention and survival through a better understanding of cancer causes, particularly the link between nutrition and cancer. Click here to view their website on low fat Vegan and vegetarian diets.
Healthful and Delicious Recipes
- Some of Beth Roth’s favorite recipes are listed below. Click on the title to see the recipe.
- Arugula Pomegranate Salad
- Edamame and Black Bean Salad
- Leafy Greens and Crunchy Cruciferous
- Kale, What is it Good for?
- Cooking with Lentils
- Acorn Squash Chickpea Bulgur
- Walnut Almond Lettuce Wraps
- Lemon Salmon & Green Apple Cole Slaw
- Quinoa Chili
- Raw Stuffed Vegan Dates
- Energy Bars
- No Bake Apple Walnut Tart
- Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
At The Gathering Place we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help educate and meet the nutritional needs of cancer survivors and their support team.
Click here to see the list of nutrition programs offered at The Gathering Place.
Click here to email our dietitian Beth Roth PT, MS, MS, RD, LD and learn how to schedule a nutrition consult.